CIRI-SDV, University of Bologna
The new location of the center, at the premises of the Foundation IRET-ONLUS guarantee the availability of 480mq of laboratories dedicated to translational medicine for neurological diseases. The laboratory has extensive experience in the following areas:
- Chemical neuroanatomy. The laboratory studies the neurochemical organization of neuronal networks, with particular reference to the chemistry of synaptic transmission and mechanisms of neuronal tropism. Studies the interaction between the different cell types that make up the nervous tissue, also comparatively in several animal species; the effect of gender and aging.
- Models of diseases neurodegenenerative. The laboratory develops and studies in vitro and in vivo models of degenerative diseases of the nervous system, with reference to acute (based on traumatic and vascular) diseases (multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, vascular dementia, neuropathic pain) and genetically based (ataxia). The in vitro models are used for the investigation of the mechanisms of neurodegeneration; models for in vivo efficacy studies of pharmacological and non.
- Regenerative medicine and tissue engineering. The laboratory creates innovative devices for regenerative medicine, based on the use of scaffolds (biological and electrospinning) also functionalized (chemically and physically), associated or not associated with stem cells of different origin (embryonic, neural, mesenchymal). He also studied the influence of physical signs in low-energy processes of repair.
- New biomarkes in biological fluids. The laboratory is engaged in the study of new biomarkers for neurodegenerative and inflammatory diseases, to be used in controlled clinical trials in veterinary medicine and human.
The laboratories and facilities include:
- Stereotactic microsurgery and animal behavior. The laboratory has the equipment and expertise to create chemical and mechanical stereotactic lesions of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves of laboratory animals. There is also the instrument for the execution and analysis of tests of learning and memory (Morris water maze, Contextual Fear Conditioning, Y maze, novel object recognition test) by video-tracking software (AnyMaze, Steolting and Smart PANLAB) , motor coordination (activity cage, Ugo Basile, Rotarod, Ugo Basile, Catwalk, Noldus) Measurement of the pain threshold in animal free to move (analgesimetro, Ugo Basile; Plantar test, Ugo Basile).
- Cell Biology. The laboratory has the equipment to set up standard cell cultures (laminar flow hoods, CO2 incubators, inverted microscopes). It also has srumentazione for high-content analysis. Work on cell lines and primary cultures (neuronal, glial and fibroblasts) derived from different animal species, and has a section on stem cells. The laboratory has produced a line of embryonic stem cells from rat island and keeps growing stem cells and neural precursors as well as the adult brain. Are conducted experiments of gene manipulation, for overesprimere or repress genes of interest, and experiments of silencing the mRNA
- Molecular Biology. The laboratory performs analysis of mRNA expression by PCR, real-time PCR and mRNA multi-array of materials of different origin. Laser capture microdissection of features for expression analysis of cells collected individually, and anatomical regions defined at microscopic resolution. Performs analysis of animal DNA for genotyping.
- Proteomics. The laboratory performs ELISA assays of biological fluids, cell cultures (cell lysates and culture medium) and tissues. Has the equipment and performs multiparameter assays using Luminex Xmap and MAGPIX.
- Morphology. The laboratory performs color immunofluorescence in single and multiple, including by means of signal enhancement.
- Advanced microscopy and image analysis (2D, 3D, 4D). The laboratory has microscopes from research in transmitted light and fluorescence, equipped with motorization of the plane z of CCD cameras high and very high resolution (cooled to -30 ° C). It has laser scanning confocal microscope, configured for time-lapse experiments on multiple points, form FRAP, FRET and calcium imaging. The laboratory is equipped with software and microdensitometrica morphometric analysis (AIS, Imaging Research, Cell ^ P, Olympus, Image ProPlus, Media Cypernetics, NIS, Nikon). It also has the software Imaris Bitplane for 3D analysis (voxels) and 4D (in time).
The laboratory is equipped with an internal network, with stand-alone server and back-up certificate data to external media and extra copies.